Thursday, December 27, 2012

25 Points for Number 25



I think Nix knew I was in the Alumni Izzone section on Saturday. He played as if he wanted to personally stick it to me for all of my doubts and disgruntle remarks I’ve made towards him these past four years. Izzo stated he has a “love-hate relationship” with Nix, “I love to hate him sometimes.” Once again, mine and Izzo’s great minds think alike. But on Saturday against Texas, I loved to love Nix. In fact, I loved EVERYTHING about Nix. I loved his 11 rebounds and 4 steals, I loved his free throws, I loved how his technical benefitted the team, and most of all I loved his 25 points. Did I mention his season high prior to this game was 11 points!? I’m not the only one jumping to join the Nix fan club. The Izzone was crazy for Nix, Izzo referred to him as a hero, and he was named Big Ten Player of the Week. 

The Nix we saw against Texas was a new man. He vowed to play with more emotion, more vocal expression, and more aggression. Nix did so and raised the ante to add more leadership, more confidence, and more basketball smarts. Nix saw that Texas was not doubling up on him (really Texas, what were you thinking!?) and he personally made them pay big time for their mistake. During this Christmas season, Nix made me and MSU fans everywhere believe in miracles. Maybe, just maybe, our big men can be the key to the team’s success like Izzo has been hinting at all year. Nix, with the assistance of Adreian Payne, sure made teammate Branden Dawson a believer.

“It is kind of an unstoppable beast when you got both of your big guys kind of dialed in,” Dawson said. “A lot of people said that Derrick Nix and Adreian Payne couldn’t play on the floor together and they showed it tonight. Adreian Payne, he can pop and hit a 15 footer. Derrick Nix is just a monster and a beast down low.” 

Nix talks often of owing the MSU basketball and Izzo and wanting to give back. Well Nix, wrap your performance Saturday up, stick a bow on it and present it to Izzo. 

I salute you Derrick Nix.

Go State!

Next up- # 19 MSU takes on #11 Minnesota for their Big Ten opener on Monday 12/31 at 2:00 on ESPN2

1 comment:

  1. Did you know Nix has lost a lot of weight? You didn't mention that!

    ReplyDelete