Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Name On The Back


 mlive.com

"It's not because they look sweet but because it says Spartans on the back," Nix said (in reference to choosing to wear the Nike Hyper Elite uniforms during his final Breslin appearance). "Sometimes players forget what we're playing for, the name on the front and not the name on the back. It says Spartans on the back and I feel like great players like Mateen ( Cleaves ) and Steve Smith are Spartans for life and they know how it feels."
I began this well loved, universally read blog with a post regarding the words boldly stated upon the front of the 2012-2013 Michigan State Men’s basketball team- Be a Good Teammate (my unbiased opinion, a bit more meaningful, humble, and inspiring then We Be On). It’s only fitting, then, to have the final blog of the regular season as we say goodbye to the Breslin for the season begin with a quote by Nix about the word on the back of the players. Spartans
Nix has never been my favorite player. I reserve that honor to such players as Trice and Valentine. Scrappy guys who run the floor as if it’s their own personal neighborhood playground court. Guys with a bit of flash...or cockiness depending on who you ask....who appear to squeeze out every drop of fun from each game. In case you haven’t heard, Nix is not known for his flashiness. He’s a bit more like an old, trusty pick up truck backing up slooowwwwwllllly....beep, beep, beep (those are my backing up sound effects). And he’s still learning how to run. Rumor is he lost some weight since his freshmen year, but he’s as likely to make a fast break as Wisconsin is. Nix is too honest, a bit slow to learn at times, and after watching the ball literally roll between his legs during his junior year, I had a hard time giving him a second chance. And he’s a big Teddy Bear who cries. But then comes senior night at the Breslin annnnnddd cue the “Graduation Goggles” (courtesy of How I Met Your Mother). And all of a sudden, one realizes they’ll miss the teddy bear. You see, I’ll miss those moments when Nix gets his hands on the ball on defense and takes a step or two as if he WANTS to have a fast break. I’ll miss counting down the seconds until a sports announcers mentions his weight loss. Or how he’s like a giant ballerina. I’ll miss the laughter that bubbles up in me when he stretches on the court (yes, I’m laughing this very moment) and I’ll miss watching him slap the floor on defense. More importantly, I’ll miss being in awe over his free throws, his ability to stretch the other team’s defense by pulling in the defenders, and most importantly I’ll miss watching our team play through Nix. I MIGHT...itsy, bitsy, teeny, tiny chance....even miss his tears. For I’ve learned to see those tears as a sign that Nix really, truly, knows the honor of wearing Spartans on his back. He knows how it feels and he shows it.
"Just give people a chance," Izzo said when asked what Nix has taught him. "Some people don't have what other people have and if you give them a chance and give them some direction, a lot of people will become better."
So what has Nix taught you during his four years playing under the name of a Spartan? To give each player the chance to grow? Or maybe just to feel the love for the Spartan name a bit more.
I can promise you he didn’t teach me any fashion sense. Those green and gold uniforms are far from “sweet”!
Thank you for your four years Nix. Thank you for the groans of agony, laughter, and moments of victory. I look forward to watching you step it up during your final March Madness. 
"Don't feel bad because a banner won't be hanging this year, but memories will, and they will be some of the best memories I've had.'' -Tom Izzo
Thank you for the memories that will be forever be “hanging” in the Breslin.
How does it feel to be a Spartan? How does it feel to come from a school who’s program is ranked #7  with a 24-7 record overall and #1 SOS, AND tied for second with a 13-5 record in the Big Ten.  How does it feel? Pretty freakin awesome. 

Speaking of awesome, check out the footage of Izzo's enthusiastic hug with Payne during the Wisconsin game. Payne reported that he was a bit scared when Izzo came towards him and just wanted to sit because his back was hurting:) Love it.


Next up- grueling Big Ten Tournament. 




No comments:

Post a Comment