Monday, November 11, 2013

Most Wonderful Time Of The Year- WELCOME BACK!


It’s the most wonderful time of the year- and not just because the famous, widely read and highly expected The Sixth (Wo)man blog is back in business!

It's that beautiful, magical time when college football AND basketball overlap. I still drool thinking over how we had a week that included the start of basketball AND the MSU vs UofM football game (moment to smile as I think back to that joy filled game)...within 7 days of one another!!?? Pure, utter awesomeness.

“There is no cost for awesomeness” says Kung Fu Panda. Fortunately for my bank account, the cost for awesomeness at this time of year at the Breslin is about $3- cheap because it’s early in the season and not yet Big Ten play. But for me, I love it. It’s the time for hope, anticipation, mystery. The time to gaze upon the rewards of a summer of hard work, knowing that champions are shaped during the offseason. 

During the summer, players have had the opportunity to take their future into their own hands every day in the gym. To exhibit their determination while the cameras are turned off. Wounds heal. Skills sharpen and mature. The reality that your four (or less) years as a college basketball player shall someday come to an end motivates.  A team gets to just have FUN- not only as players, but as young men, friends. And a team rebuilds ready for battle.

As then as the fall leafs change color over the Red Cedar, and the first notes of the MSU Fight Song ring out through the Breslin, the spoils of the offseason war (not against a rivaling team but oneself) are revealed. The most wonderful time of the year. Well, until the game against Kentucky....and the Big Ten Opener...and March Madness....ok it’s the START of the most wonderful time of the year.

So let us gaze and wonder- upon the players, the team, and the possibilities of the season.

With the start of a new season, we look to each player for improvement. Last year the Spartans were plagued with lingering injuries, not that you could tell by watching the performances of Harris, Appling, Dawson, Trice...this list goes on. But with their “best injury free summer” (Izzo’s words), can we expect....dare I hope for...even MORE from these young men? 

Let’s be blunt, Izzo style, here for a minute. The notorious elephant in the room is difficult to hide, being that it stands in the Izzone flapping its wings. Yes, I’m talking about Russell Byrd and his ability to recover from what must have been a difficult year physically and....well I can only assume his confidence took a bit of a hit last year, no matter how amazing of a human being Izzo makes him out to be. 

“In two exhibition games, Byrd was 5-for-6 from 3-point range and scored 18 points. Against Indiana, he was 3-for-4 and something appeared that hadn’t been around in a long time — a smile on Byrd’s face.“I’m definitely more confident after shooting the ball so well those first two games,” Byrd said after practice on Wednesday. “That’s a plus, that’s for sure. I’ll be just as confident as I can be if I prepare and we prepare as a team. I’ll just go out and do my job.”

Need I say more?
No? 
Good, let’s let it rest for a while and allow the man “go out and do (his) job”.
Wondering about Dawson and Trice? Pull up the film of their (including Dawson’s back to back) dunks against McNeese on youtube. (Yes, you read that correct, Trice dunks.) It’ll answer any looming questions.
Wondering about the team?
“There is one common denominator, I said, everybody's improved. I don't say that every year, but I really believe this team, everybody has improved........I think we have a bunch of guys that understand that this is an opportunity of a lifetime.” 
And wondering about the season ahead?
“`I'd die to play with this team.' From Draymond Green, that was a statement of all statements.”
All above quotes Izzo's from msuspartans.com


So enjoy this most wonderful time of year for what it is. A time to gaze upon the results of a dedicated team’s hard work and wonder at how the results will reveal themselves to make for a season of champions.

Respect the work. Expect greatness.

Go Green!!

Michigan State's Travis Trice dunks over McNeese State's Adrian Fields (20), Craig McFerrin, center, and Ledrick Eckles (22) during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game, Friday, Nov. 8, 2013, in East Lansing, Mich. (AP Photo/Al Goldis)



Next Game: As if you seriously don’t know- #2 MSU vs #1 Kentrucky. Tuesday, November 12th at 7:30 on ESPN


Read more about the offseason

(Highly recommended article for any Quicken Loans fans)

(For any who believe that team chemistry can lead to greatness)

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back ladies! I look forward to your insightful basketball debriefings between cupcake recipes in my reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I was so happy to see this pop up on my rss feed! My favorite part is the Byrd part & Trice dunking. I have gotten tired watching game tracker so thank goodness for TV tonight. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete