Monday, November 19, 2012

I Am Thankful For a Strong Guard Duo!


I spent the MSU-Texas Southern game on an airplane and.....the horror....Frontier Airlines did not show the game!! To land with the score alert of a 69-41 win popping up on my phone helped me kick off the Thanksgiving holiday with a fist pump. Seeing today that we are now ranked 15 was icing on the cake. And with Indiana, OSU, and UofM all ranked in the top 5, my anticipation for the Big Ten is rising to new levels. 

Now, after studying multiple resources to increase my understanding of the previous game that I so tragically missed.....let’s break it down and attempt to preview the upcoming MSU-Boise State game. I’d like to make the bold (or maybe not so bold anymore) prediction that we will be known this year for our strong guard duo of Appling and Harris. Harris continues to play like a confident veteran, leading the team againt Texas Southern with 19 points. He averages 16 points per game so far this season, making him only 1 of 3 players in MSU history to score double figures in his first three games. Appling came into this season with high expectations and a need to step it up for a team missing an irreplaceable player....yes, a moment of silence for Draymond Green. And step up he did. Appling averages 13.3 points per game and is top for assists at 3.7 per game. But more importantly, Appling’s dedication during the off season has paid off and he went from being 25% behind the 3 point line to 56%. That is a stat that has to make even Izzo smile (and not in the scary run for your life at halftime type way). That is Spartan dedication and strength. 

This Tuesday we face Boise State. MSU does well against Boise State this year so I’m feeling confident! We are amidst a 4 home game streak. Our freshmen continue to show increasingly confidence, Appling is showing himself to be an experienced point guard, and Costello should be playing for more minutes. So yes, as I said, I feel confident. Boise State is said to also have a strong guard duo (remember the names Derrick Marks and Anthony Drmic for Tuesday’s game). I expect MSU’s to be better. In fact, I expect Harris and Appling to surpass expectations. Could be slightly bias:) In addition, whatever magic Marks and/or Drmic can work on the court, it will fizzle out when confronted with the likes of Dawson. That man is...JUST....THAT....GOOD! Do I even need to voice who I predict will come out victorious? 

As you sit down to watch the MSU-Boise State game (Tuesday at 8pm on the BTN), I present to you some questions to ponder:

When will we see Trice back and healthy? How will his combined summer illness and concussion impact his game this season?

Who will Izzo settle on for the starting lineup? Will it include Nix? 

How many Big Ten teams can we get into the top 25 this season? Top 10? Top 5? 

And....what do you think about Maryland and Rutgers joining the Big Ten!!!???

Resources of study include isportweb.com, espn.go.com



2 comments:

  1. I'm anxious for Trice to get back. We can't ask for more from Appling but how many games can he play for 40 consecutive minutes. He's going to need a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of sad that the Big Ten is expanding beyond Midwest schools but the plus side is maybe better coverage of Big Ten games on major networks on the East Coast!

    ReplyDelete