Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Apple of Izzo's Eye



I’m making everyone, sports announcers and Izzo included, ‘I Heart Appling’ T-Shirts. Because right now, who doesn’t love Appling? Izzo loves him (“I’m not an easy guy to please, but I’m really proud of him. And he’s doing it in an exciting way.”) Reporters love him (just google Michigan State Basketball and you’ll notice that every headline includes the name Keith Appling). Even the opposing teams’ coaches love him (“Keith Appling was terrific tonight,” Kansas coach Bill Self said). The Appling love, however, stems from more than just his stats and clutch plays. It’s because Appling became a hero by doing it the ‘right way’. He listened to his coaches, worked hard, dedicated himself to both ends of the court, and became ‘a man’ (Izzo’s words, not my own!). In other words, Appling is an ideal player for Izzo. In addition, he’s humble, a joy to watch play, and TOUGH (just ask Izzo!). 

“The one thing I don’t worry about is that’s one tought hombre”, Izzo said of Appling. “I would’ve told him the same thing I told Cleaves: ‘Have a sprained ankle, just do it after the game. I don’t have time for it right now.’ I love that about Appling. He’s tougher than nails.”

With Trice and Harris out (update: Trice will hopefully be returning this Wednesday and Harris will not need surgery and could return Wednesday or soon after!!!!), Appling has had to greatly step up his minutes. While the man must be exhuasted, he has been playing like a little Detroit raised Energizer Bunny. And Izzo and I couldn’t be prouder!

It's Appling's time to shine. Go State!


Next up: MSU takes on Miami (FL) in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge at 7:30 pm Wednesday, November 23





Mike Carter/U.S. PRESSWIRE







No comments:

Post a Comment